Friday 19 September 2014

31 Day Nail Art Challenge 2014 Day 19: Galaxies & Galaxy Tutorial


Deborah Lippmann - Amazing Grace
Color Club - Eternal Beauty/ Miss Bliss / Cosmic Fate
Zoya - Godiva // Northern Lights Holographic Topcoat

The prompt for Day 19 was "Galaxies".
Now I love me a galaxy. 
So decided to make this a double wammy and add a tutorial!
Scroll to the bottom if you want to go straight to that.





So what do you think? Let me know!
And tag me (FB, IG, etc..) if you try the tutorial. I'd love to see it if you recreate it. 



A Few tips..

Choosing Colours
Don't feel like you have to choose colours from the same family.
Experimenting with different colours allows you to create whatever kind of galaxy you want.
Vary up your base shades too - don't feel like you're limited to only black or white.

Tools
I always take my sponge and rip it into smaller pieces.
It's easier to decide where the polish is going and the rough edges can create
pretty cool patters. I also always use tweezers. It prevents you from getting polish
everywhere and it allows for better precision. Be sure to also use a light hand - it's easier
to build up colour versus removing or covering it up.

To Star or Not to Star
Personally I've found that I'm pretty terrible at free handing stars.
Some people are amazing (i.e. The Nailasaurus), but me? Not so much.
 If I want to make stars I tend to use a very small dotting tool.
In general though I've found that I prefer to use just a glitter topcoat.
I also like to use Zoya's Pixie Dusts because they add a bit of texture and lots of sparkle.
Just don't add too much or it can overpower the galaxy.

Now here's the step by step...


xo, D.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin